1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What affects a connection?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Persht, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Persht

Persht Administrator Staff Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,615 / 85 / -6
    I've had to explain this a few times but lets go down to the basics. I also posted this on reddead.net. I know I've brought it up here in parts a few times but i figured i should have it all in one thread here.

You are User 1

User 1 connects to the internet via his console (PS3) and then connects to a session via a R* (RDR) server.

That server is a common ground between you and other players. You share the same session.

From what I know similar connections will connect. But if good rooms are filled, or your ping is high, you get sent to a crappy room.
    (People who play PC games, MW3 etc will see PING when connection to rooms. It's much like that.)

Ultimately this means that they TRY to connect you into a good game but if there's no other lobbies filled they will drop everyone into the same room until it's full and they'll start another room.

Connection
    User 1 ----> = RDR server session = <---- User 2
    User 1 ----> = RDR server session = -----> User 2
    User 1 <---- =RDR server session = <---- User 2

Things that affect a connection
    Wifi! It's always best to do a wired connection. But if you must wifi, try to be as close as possible to the modem.
    Physical distance from the actual servers (wherever those may be) will decrease your connection. Data does have to travel.
    If you're living with someone and they start using the internet at home, it will decrease your connection speed. IDK anything more about that but if my wifey decides to youtube or play car town on facebook... my connection gets lame.

Why do they not die when I shoot them?
    It's due to packet loss (feel free to google "packet loss+games"). Due to terrible pings (on your side or theirs, it could be either). When you shoot them, information about that event is lost and or not properly sent. Just like when you're sending an email and sometimes you hit send and it doesn't go through. Or those rare times (often times) back in the day with SMS text messaging. You'd send a text and they'd never get it. Sometimes data gets lost along the way. IT HAPPENS.

Lagswitches are actually detectable but there's ways that they can't be detectable and all we can do is speculate. Go ahead do your research. It's sadly a part of the gaming world. BUT don't go around throwing words and insults just because this is happening. Unless you're into this connection business, you probably have little to no clue what or how you bullet actually is transferred over to someone's head on another console.

I think on XBOX that certain lagswitches are automatically kicked from a session. Some PC games do the same thing. I'm actually pretty sure PS3 does the same thing for the noobier lagswitches.

Another thing to note about lagswitching.
    THEY DO IT STRATEGICALLY. Unless you have a nooby lagger. In RDR I seem them do it at corners a lot or when they go for a bag. Sometimes the ballsy ones run down the center of the map and use it.

Packet Loss
    Packets are the info that your console sends to the server to the opponents console. So think of them as lovely parcels that you get in the mail. SOMETIMES the mailman screws up and its lost or damaged. This happens with gaming. It happens a lot!

Sometimes you're sending packets faster than others and giving the server a hard time and errors and sending out information that should not be true (faster connection is my explanation). In mw3 this happens a lotttt for me if I connect in high ping sessions

I'll be running and then i'll pass a buildings front and be reset to where I started running from and all my team will be in the same areas. In RDR this also happens, sometimes though people start to go slower for you... almost lag... sometimes you get reset. I think some people call this the rubberband effect or chain yank.

Please feel free to add your two cents! I'm not an expert but this has mostly worked for me for as long as I've been playing multiplayer games (since about 10+ years). I prefer people who don't accuse everyone of cheating and actually know what they're talking about. Not just something they found while googling "how does a lagswitch work"

It's all about the type of internet I have, right?
    SORT OF. You can have the best damn internet in the world and still have a shit connection with the game. No matter how much you invest into it, problems still occur.

Ping is what you're looking for. There's numerous websites to test your ping but ping is the the time it takes to send information round trip to a server. The R* servers are somewhere that I'm not sure about! But ping will vary in games and websites.

2. TequilaFire

TequilaFire Administrator Staff Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,696 / 25 / -0
    Just a side note on R* servers.
    The game is hosted on Gamespy servers, so i is useless to ping rockstargames.com like many do.

3. Persht

Persht Administrator Staff Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,615 / 85 / -6
    People actually did that? lollllll